Well, this was supposed to be my "Year of The Beatles", with plenty of Fab Four posts here in honor of the fiftieth anniversary of the band's first U.S. visit. Hasn't quite worked out that way, I'm afraid . . . although hope still springs eternal. I'm still trying to complete the blog post for the "Beatles vs.
Here's the lineup:
1. Echo & The Bunnymen - Ticket To RideThere's nothing particularly deathless here . . . in fact, there's a lot of stuff here (like the Tiny Tim and Peter Sellers versions) that is sort of annoying. But for the most part, it is interesting to hear the different ways these various artists take on these Beatles classics. Favorites include Otis Redding's sweat-soaked, muscular live version of "Day Tripper", Teenage Fanclub's "Tell Me What You See", and "I Want To Hold Your Hand", done in Al Green's inimitable voice and style. There are a lot of other winners here - I'll let you dig them up yourself.
2. Lowell Folson - Why Don't We Do It In The Road ?
3. 801 featuring Phil Manzanera & Brian Eno - Tomorrow Never Knows
4. Teenage Fanclub - Tell Me What You See
5. Otis Redding - Daytripper
6. Siouxsie & The Banshees - Helter Skelter
7. Nils Lofgren - Anytime At All
8. Junior Parker - Taxman
9. The Damned - Help
10. Marianne Faithfull - I'm A Loser
11. Gene - Don't Let Me Down
12. Al Green - I Wanna Hold Your Hand
13. Tiny Tim with Brave Combo - Girl
14. 10cc - Across The Universe
15. Billy Bragg - Revolution
16. Laibach - One After 909
17. Joe Cocker - I'll Cry Instead
18. Rainer - Within You, Without You
19. Chris Farlowe - Yesterday
20. Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel - Here Comes The Sun
21. Peter Sellers - She Loves You
22. Lord Sitar - Blue Jay Way
23. Booker T & The MGs - I Want You (She's So Heavy)
24. Oasis - Helter Skelter
So here, for your listening pleasure, is Uncut: Why Don't We Do It In The Road?, released as part of said magazine in July 2001. Enjoy, and as always, please let me know what you think.
Please use the email link below to contact me, and I will reply with the download link(s) ASAP: